A new mini Poll/Quiz has been started.

Help Center For New Turkish Virtual Pilots. Questions about connection, online flying, and training.

Postby artuncs » 13 Mar 2021, 14:42

A new Quiz has been opened. You can also see the last 'Quiz Results' on our main website, or please click down below link. Thank you. (13.03.2021)
https://www.turkishvirtual.com/poll_previous.asp
Erhan M. Artuc
artuncs
Administrator

Name: Erhan M. ARTUC
City: London
PID: 3578
Vatsim ID: 1087117

Postby THY4285 » 16 Mar 2021, 13:28

Gmorning Captain Erhan,
I really enjoy the mini quizes and I participate almost every time.
In the past i did give the wrong answer to some challenges :oops: , but I was never explained why my choice that i was so sure about was wrong.
To add to the learning effect, may I suggest to post also an explanation when the quiz is solved at the end of the month?

Vic
THY4285
Rookie

Name: Victor Sinangin
City: Savannah
PID: 4285
Vatsim ID: 1024160

Postby THY3716 » 16 Mar 2021, 15:04

That was what i was expecting sooner or later. I knew somebody would ask for this and here it comes :)
Lead me, follow me or get out of my way !
THY3716
Administrator

Name: Bahadir ALKES
City: Istanbul
PID: 3716
Vatsim ID: 1097118

Postby THY3716 » 16 Mar 2021, 15:05

Time to add some more codes.. :)
THY3716
Administrator

Postby artuncs » 16 Mar 2021, 16:41

Hi Vic, I believe these questions are things people search for on the internet and answer the quiz based on their results. Is it wrong to search on the internet and answer the quiz this way? Not. I think it's good that we encourage them to research and learn about something they don't know. That is why I did not feel that it was necessary to explain, assuming that even if they answered incorrectly, they could investigate further and find out what they were doing wrong. I always believed that people require research, curiosity, and logic to learn.

Anyway, I made a slight amendment to the website page and explained. From now on, an explanation will always be provided there. Bahadir will improve my edits on the code later.
Erhan M. Artuc
artuncs
Administrator

Postby THY4285 » 16 Mar 2021, 17:33

:D Why is it that my ideas always makes someone else sweat?
Well, what can I say, I am a lazy guy :smirk:

Regarding the quizes, some challenges, like the current one and the past one does not really need an explanation.
But for example, some time ago we had a challenge regarding entering into the holding, or another challenge regarding decoding a Metar...i think these type of questions are suitable for providing a brief explanation why the given answer is correct.

But yeah, i can also see that you want people to search and read up before they answer the quiz. It also makes perfect sense.
THY4285
Rookie

Postby THY4418 » 16 Mar 2021, 18:54

Question for the 737NG Captains :rofl:

you're established ILS Approach at 2500ft, ATC instructed you to Go Around. But missed approach altitude is 1500ft.

How will you fly the go around and how will set the mcp or another equipment properly ?
THY4418

Name: Hasan Günenç
City: Eskişehir
PID: 4418
Vatsim ID: 1484118

Postby THY3716 » 16 Mar 2021, 22:35

Whooaa... yes.. let's see the answers please.. perfect question..
THY3716
Administrator

Postby THY3716 » 16 Mar 2021, 22:37

Just a quick reminder.. codes for further information about why the answer was bla bla have been implemented into the webpage. From now on, if additional info required, it will be shown on the last poll answer page.. which can be reached by the link just below the mini poll

The link is..

https://www.turkishvirtual.com/poll_previous.asp
THY3716
Administrator

Postby THY3716 » 16 Mar 2021, 22:39

THY4285 wrote::D Why is it that my ideas always makes someone else sweat?

It never does. If we receive a good idea which will help our pilots learn something new or will help to add extra joy to our hobby, and if it can be done, we will do it.
THY3716
Administrator

Postby artuncs » 16 Mar 2021, 23:08

THY3716 wrote:
THY4285 wrote::D Why is it that my ideas always makes someone else sweat?

It never does. If we receive a good idea which will help our pilots learn something new or will help to add extra joy to our hobby, and if it can be done, we will do it.

Yes, what Bahadir said is very accurate. We've already developed most of the improvements on both FDR and website systems on the demands of our members.
Erhan M. Artuc
artuncs
Administrator

Postby THY4285 » 16 Mar 2021, 23:35

:clap: you guys are just awesome

btw, mission accomplished, last choper is at home base 8)
THY4285
Rookie

Postby THY3716 » 17 Mar 2021, 01:48

Thanks to every one who assisted on this logistic operation. Mission is over.
THY3716
Administrator

Postby THY4525 » 20 Mar 2021, 12:11

@ Hasan:
First of all: your question is independent of aircraft type, Boeing, Airbus, Cessna or whatever other aircraft one is flying is irrelevant.

Unless the ATC instructs otherwise, the missed approach procedure or any other procedure, should be executed as published (see Jeppesen charts, or the ones in the AIP).

The instructions of air traffic control supersede everything published, so in your case even if on the chart the missed approach point is indicated at 1500 ft, and the ATC instructs to begin the missed approach procedure, then the pilot is expected to begin the missed approach procedure immediately, not continuing descent to 1500 ft and then start the procedure.

The machine must always be set ready for the next step to do. In your case, You are expected to set the flight management computer to already know what are the next segments to fly (missed approach in this case). In this precise case, I understand your machine was configured to use the autopilot to intercept and follow the localizer and glidepath (beware that in Europe, when landing is forbidden to keep the autopilot engaged below 500 ft and all pilots are expected to disengage the autopilot at or above 500 ft and always land manually the airplane).

Usually, but not always, the missed approach procedures begin with maintaining runway heading after the missed approach point until a certain fix or radio-navigation aid (VOR/NDB) or radial and distance, and then turn towards a holding patern. Other times, the turn towards a holding patern is immediate after the missed approach point.

So your machine was at 2500 ft on autopilot, and You received the instruction to go missed. From my perspective, but everyone that thinks I am wrong is welcome to correct me:
- if the published missed procedure implied maintaining runway heading, then that was a pretty easy execution: disengage the approach mode, engage heading and altitude hold and vertical speed, maintain heading and begin immediate climb to the published altitude or the one instructed by ATC;
- if the published missed approach procedure implied an immediate turn, then that required a bit of piloting skills: disengage the approach mode, fly manually until reaching a stable flight condition and then reengage the autopilot. (Depending on the area, it could be also executed with autopilot, but is way easier and safer to fly the airplane manually in this case - now it comes in my mind Innsbruck: keeping the autopilot there on a missed approach it may get the airplane into the mountains surrounding the airport.)

Have good wind! :wink:

Adrian
www.skycolors.com
THY4525

Name: Adrian Dobre
City: Bucureşti
PID: 4525
Vatsim ID: 846157

Postby THY4418 » 20 Mar 2021, 16:01

THY4525 wrote:@ Hasan:
First of all: your question is independent of aircraft type, Boeing, Airbus, Cessna or whatever other aircraft one is flying is irrelevant.

Unless the ATC instructs otherwise, the missed approach procedure or any other procedure, should be executed as published (see Jeppesen charts, or the ones in the AIP).

The instructions of air traffic control supersede everything published, so in your case even if on the chart the missed approach point is indicated at 1500 ft, and the ATC instructs to begin the missed approach procedure, then the pilot is expected to begin the missed approach procedure immediately, not continuing descent to 1500 ft and then start the procedure.

The machine must always be set ready for the next step to do. In your case, You are expected to set the flight management computer to already know what are the next segments to fly (missed approach in this case). In this precise case, I understand your machine was configured to use the autopilot to intercept and follow the localizer and glidepath (beware that in Europe, when landing is forbidden to keep the autopilot engaged below 500 ft and all pilots are expected to disengage the autopilot at or above 500 ft and always land manually the airplane).

Usually, but not always, the missed approach procedures begin with maintaining runway heading after the missed approach point until a certain fix or radio-navigation aid (VOR/NDB) or radial and distance, and then turn towards a holding patern. Other times, the turn towards a holding patern is immediate after the missed approach point.

So your machine was at 2500 ft on autopilot, and You received the instruction to go missed. From my perspective, but everyone that thinks I am wrong is welcome to correct me:
- if the published missed procedure implied maintaining runway heading, then that was a pretty easy execution: disengage the approach mode, engage heading and altitude hold and vertical speed, maintain heading and begin immediate climb to the published altitude or the one instructed by ATC;
- if the published missed approach procedure implied an immediate turn, then that required a bit of piloting skills: disengage the approach mode, fly manually until reaching a stable flight condition and then reengage the autopilot. (Depending on the area, it could be also executed with autopilot, but is way easier and safer to fly the airplane manually in this case - now it comes in my mind Innsbruck: keeping the autopilot there on a missed approach it may get the airplane into the mountains surrounding the airport.)

Have good wind! :wink:

Adrian
www.skycolors.com

really good answer but you missed that this question exactly for 737NG. Because, as you said, you can't disangage the APP mode after it was engaged even if you push app or recycle the F/D's. so there are two option:

1st- press TO/GA and follow TO/GA orders

But when you press TO/GA, it will always show you to ''pitch up'' command. But in this case, the GA altitude is below current altitude so it is not correct.

2nd Option- De-tuning ILS frequencies.

When you did it, app mode will disengage and plane will revert CWS R and P modes. then select proper roll mode and pitch mode, retract gear and flaps as scheduled

So now, you can fly the airplane with correct FD guidance and later I would communicate with about missed approach procedure.

It is very important especially when you flying night and IMC conditions. As far as I know, the most companies SOP doesn't allow fly the airplane without Flight Directors except for raw data ILS and recycle on final app.
THY4418

Name: Hasan Günenç
City: Eskişehir
PID: 4418
Vatsim ID: 1484118

Next

Return to Training Lounge